What makes cedar the best type of wood for a sauna room?
Cedar is a coniferous tree that belongs to the pine family. Cedar trees are native to North America, Europe, and Asia. Cedar wood is light in color, ranging from light brown to reddish-brown.
The grain of cedar wood is straight and fine, with a uniform texture. Cedar is a softwood, but it is much stronger than other types of softwoods such as pine.
Cedar is also naturally resistant to rot, decay, and insect damage.
These properties make cedar the ideal choice for sauna construction as well as sauna kits.
Cedar is used all over the world for sauna paneling and sauna door. Cedar saunas are known for their beauty, durability, and resistance to the elements. Cedar paneling also adds a natural look to any sauna room.
In addition, it has a unique aroma that many people find relaxing. So if you are building your own sauna, you can go with cedar wood or a cedar sauna kit.
What should you consider before picking up cedar for a sauna?
When choosing cedar for a sauna room, there are a few things you need to consider.
1. What type of sauna heater are you using?
If you are building an electric sauna with electric heaters, then you need to make sure that the cedar is properly treated and rated for high temperatures.
The same goes for if you are using a wood-burning sauna stove. You need to make sure that the cedar can withstand the high temperatures that will be produced by the sauna stove.
Another thing to consider is the size of the sauna. Cedar paneling comes in different thicknesses and sizes. Take tape and find out the square foot of the walls and ceiling that you need to cover.
This will help you determine how much cedar paneling you need to buy.
2. Is it an outdoor sauna or an indoor sauna?
if your sauna project is for an outdoor sauna, then you need to make sure that the cedar you choose is properly treated for outdoor use.
You also need to take into consideration the climate where you live. If you live in an area with a lot of rain or snow, you need to make sure that the cedar can withstand the moisture.
If you are building an indoor sauna, then you don’t need to worry about the cedar being treated for outdoor use.
You also need to make sure that the cedar you choose is properly kiln-dried. Kiln-drying is a process that removes all the moisture from the wood.
3. What is your budget?
Cedar paneling is not cheap. If you are on a tight budget, then you might want to consider using another type of wood for your sauna project.
Clear cedar is the most expensive type of cedar. It is also of the highest quality.
Knotty cedar is lower quality but it is still a good choice for a sauna. It is also less expensive than clear cedar.
Building a sauna is a big investment, so you need to make sure that you are using the best materials for the job.
4. Where can you buy cedar for a sauna?
You can buy cedar at your local home improvement store or lumberyard. You can also order it online. When ordering cedar online, make sure that you are ordering from a reputable company. Take your time and shop around to find the best deal.
5. How do you care for cedar saunas?
Cedar saunas are low maintenance. You just need to make sure that the sauna is properly ventilated and that the cedar is kept clean.
You can use a mild soap and water solution to clean the cedar. You should also stain or seal the cedar to protect it from the elements.
Sealants and stains will also give the cedar a beautiful shine. Staining and sealing the cedar is not necessary but it will extend the life of the sauna.
Is cedar good for sauna benches and other accessories?
Cedar is a great choice for sauna benches and other accessories. Cedar is durable and can withstand the high temperatures of a sauna. It is also resistant to moisture and rot, making it a great choice for use in a sauna.
Most commercial saunas use cedar for the benches and other accessories. If you are building a home sauna, you can use cedar for the benches and other accessories.
Different types of cedar
There are many different types of cedar. Here are some of the most popular ones
1. Western red cedar: Western red cedar is probably the most popular type of cedar. It is a softwood that is light in weight and has a reddish hue. Western red cedar is naturally resistant to rot and decay, making it a great choice for use in a sauna.
2. Eastern white cedar: Eastern white cedar is another popular type of cedar. It is a softwood that is light in weight and has a white or cream-colored hue. Eastern white cedar is also naturally resistant to rot and decay, making it a great choice for use in a sauna.
3. Alaskan yellow cedar: Alaskan yellow cedar is a yellow hardwood. It is a bit heavier than other types of cedar. Alaskan yellow cedar is very durable and resistant to rot and decay.
4. Port Orford cedar: Port Orford cedar is a hardwood that is white or cream-colored. It is very strong and durable. Port Orford cedar is resistant to rot and decay, making it a great choice for use in a sauna.
5. Atlantic white cedar: Atlantic white cedar is a softwood that is light in weight and has a white or cream-colored hue. Some people consider it to be the best type of cedar for use in a sauna because it is very durable and resistant to rot and decay.
Cedar is a great choice for saunas because it is durable, resistant to rot and decay, and has a beautiful color and grain. Different types of cedar have different colors and grain patterns. Choose the type of cedar that you think will look best in your sauna.
When choosing cedar for your sauna, make sure that you select the best quality lumber that you can afford. Cedar is not cheap so make sure to take your time to find the best deal.