What type of door frame should you choose?
There are two types of door frames that you can use for your sauna door:
1. Pre-made door frame
2. Custom-made door frame
If you want to save time and money, then you should opt for a pre-made door frame. These frames are readily available in most hardware stores.
However, if you want more sturdy and durable door frames, then you should go for a custom-made frame.
Depending on your budget and preference, you can choose either option.
Different types of sauna doors
There are mainly two types of sauna doors used today:
1. Sliding sauna doors:
These doors are easy to open and close, and they don’t take up much space. All you have to do is slide them open and shut. The best part is that these doors are very easy to build.
2. Hinged sauna doors:
Hinged sauna doors are more traditional and they offer a more classic look. The only downside is that they require more space to open and close. But, if you have the extra space, then hinged doors would be a great option for your sauna.
Which type of sauna door should you choose?
The type of sauna door that you choose will depend on your personal preference and the space that you have available. If you have a small space, then sliding doors would be the best option.
But, if you want a more traditional look, then hinged doors would be a better choice.
Best materials for sauna doors
The most popular material used for sauna doors is wood. Wood is a great insulator and it also looks very attractive. The only downside is that wood can be expensive.
If you want to save money, then you can use other materials such as glass or PVC. Glass doors are very stylish and they offer a more modern look.
You can also go with a plywood door because these are very sturdy and they are also very affordable.
If you have the budget, you can also go with groove cedar or red cedar. These doors are very durable and they offer a classic look.
Tools for building a sauna door
Building a sauna door is not that hard. All you need is basic carpentry skills and basic tools like:
- Measuring tape
- Wood glue
If you are using a sauna kit to build your door, then the kit will come with all the necessary tools and materials.
What to consider before building a sauna door?
There are a few things that you need to consider before you start building your door:
1. The size of your sauna
The first thing you need to do is measure the size of your sauna. This will determine the size of the door that you need to build. Take a measuring tape and measure the width and height of your sauna.
2. Type of sauna heaters you will use
Different heaters produce different types of heat. For example, infrared heaters produce dry heat and on the other hand, and steam heaters produce wet heat. Different materials would react differently to these types of heat.
For example, if you are using an infrared heater, then you need to use materials that can withstand high temperatures such as cedar or glass.
3. Is it an indoor sauna or outdoor sauna
The location of your sauna will also determine the type of door that you need to build. If you are building an indoor sauna, then you can use any type of material.
But, if you are building an outdoor sauna, then you need to use materials that can withstand weather conditions such as wind, rain, and snow.
4. How often you will be using your sauna
If you are planning to use your sauna on a daily basis, then you need to use materials that are durable and can handle rough openings.
On the other hand, if you are only going to use your sauna occasionally, then you can use materials that are not as durable.
5. Your budget
The cost of the door will also play a role in your decision. If you have a limited budget, then you need to use materials that are affordable such as plywood or glass. But, if you have a bigger budget, then you can use materials such as cedar or redwood.
How to build a hot room door?
Building a steam room door is not that different from building a regular door. Here are the steps:
1. Gather all the materials and tools that you need: We mentioned everything you need in the previous section. If you are using a DIY kit then all the materials will be included.
2. Measure the doorway: Take a measuring tape and measure the width and height of the doorway. Make sure that you can enter comfortably. Although DIY sauna doors are usually made to fit standard doorways, you might still need to make some adjustments.
3. Build the panel, rails, and stiles: This is the most important part of the door. You need to make sure that the panel, rails, and stiles are properly aligned. Take your time and double-check the measurements before you start nailing everything together.
4. Assemble the door: Once you have all the pieces, it’s time to assemble the door. Start by attaching the rails to the stiles. Then, add the panel. Make sure that everything is properly aligned and use wood glue to secure everything in place.
5. Install the accessories: If you are planning to add a glass window or ventilation, then now is the time to do it. You can also add a handle or lock at this stage.
6. Hang the door: The last step is to hang the door. You can either use hinges or a sliding mechanism. If you are using hinges, then make sure that they are properly aligned.
And that’s it! You have now learned how to build a sauna door.
So there you have it! These are the things that you need to consider before you start building your door. We hope that this article was helpful and that you will be able to build a door that meets your needs. Thank you for reading!